Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What Have I Accomplished?

Galoshes

April, 1990

Dear MaryJanes,

I am 28 years old today and I look back and wonder where my life has gone. You are my meaning in life, but some day you will grow up and ask me what is the meaning of life and I can't say for sure that I will know how to answer. It often seems that I am just going along the motions and trying my hardest to make everyone else happy and I just want some solid ground to stand on myself. I put on a good smile and make everyone around me get the impression that everything is honkie-dorrie, when in truth, life is hard. Twenty eight years old and soon to be thirty. Other than giving birth to you and making sure that I do my best to raise you, what else have I achieved in life other than trying to help your father mature as well as keeping him alive. Some times I feel like I have two children rather than one.
MaryJanes

I will tuck this little pity party away in my box of letters to you so that one day when you open them up and read them, you will know that on those days that you felt like the world was getting the better of you, I have been there and thought that.

Now Cheer Up.
Love, Galoshes

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have times in life when we wonder why we are here...I know I sure do! You were very insightful at such a young age...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    And we always hope that our kids grow up with a sense of purpose. MJ does a better job at finding out who she, herself is by trying new things. I am so happy that she is able to be home with her kids, substitute teach [which gets her into the work force a few days a month} and create. She will be able to figure out what her purpose in life is so much faster than I did!
    I hope you find the same is true for yours!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete